Sunday, December 19, 2004

Big Box Attitude

What is it with the attitude of some of the "big box" retailers here in High Point/ Greensboro??

Yea, I know It's Christmas. Yea, Iknow you're busy. But don't you want me to get my shit and get the hell out of your store where some other fool can come in and put up with all your BS to hand over their hard earned money to you?

Case in point. Head into High Point this afternoon to electronics retailer called "Circuit City" to pick up a few more things on my sons Christmas list. First stop was for 5 1/4" speakers for his front car doors on his car. No problem. Had them. Pioneer. Just what he wanted.$49.95 but had to pay for them at the auto stereo installation area.

Well I got some more shopping to do so the clerk says "no problem, go get what you have to get and come back here and we'll check everything out here."

O.K.!

So approximately 50min later with 1 DVD player, 4 DVD's, 2 CD's, and a pack of blank cassette recording tapes, I made my way back to the auto stereo area to get the speakers and checkout. Speakers were already waiting, handed clerk my debit card, started checking out-------oops---can't check anything out but the speakers--everything else will have to be checked out up front. I said no problem. Give me the speakers and I'll check them out up front too. He said they have to be checked out back here. I just flat out told him that wasn't going to happen unless he bought them. Left the speakers and everything else laying on the counter and hit the door.

Can't believe a store would let a $50 pair of speakers lose a $500 sale. Why should I have to checkout twice to get out of a store. I am the customer and I am not, under any circumstances, going to put up with any bullshit trying to give you my money!!!

Proceeded to second electronics retailer (Best Buy) and bought exact merchandise that was attempted to be purchased at first store. NO PROBLEM THIS TIME! One stop checkout. Thanks Best Buy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a right to shop elsewhere and the store policy is idiotic, but I find that when I try to make a point, I end up cutting off my nose to spite my face. I end up without what I want and the $6 per-hour clerk has no care or investment in whether you buy anything or not. It's more of a pain than the two check-out lines, but a letter to store management would send more of a message. When I've written with complaints, I've even been offered discounts, but whatever incited my writing usually wasn't quelled and I rarely patronized stores that treated me badly. We all love discount stores for the selection and prices, but we got much better service from Mom & Pop stores. We consumers are guilty for the decline of M&P and the emergence of the big, impersonal chain outlets.