Friday, January 07, 2005

Randolph Seeks Lake Access Points

It looks like Randolph County has already picked their sites for boat access to the new Randleman Lake.

Since access to the lake for recreational purposes will be heavily restricted because of the reservoir's primary purpose as a drinking water supply for Greensboro, High Point, Jamestown, they have to petition the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the N.C. Division of Water Quality to amend the permit to allow the access.

Guilford County county will also have to do this because they are planning to build a park at the north end of the lake and are also seeking access at that site.

Frankly, I can't see why anybody would want access to a 3,000 acre cesspool.

I know. I know. You're saying they passed all the required environmental impact statements and water quality studies.

You have a 163 acre Seaboard Chemical contaminated "superfund" site sitting on the bank of the Deep River that is going to be feeding this lake. Tetra Tech, Inc. did the study, said the water quality was acceptable for a public water supply. Do they live here? Are they going to drink it? Do they even know what kind of chemicals have been dumped at this site that are now leaking into the groundwater?

You have a now closed city landfill on the bank of the Deep River. Who knows what has been dumped here over 20 or 30 years that is now leaking into the groundwater and into the river. Black and Veatch, Inc. did a study. Said water quality and quantity acceptable for public use. Do they live here? Are they going to drink it?

Then you have the sewage treatment plant. I don't know how many gallons they treat a day but it all goes in Deep River and will end up in Randleman Lake. If you ever ride down I-85 during the summer, 95 outside, southbound, cross Deep River bridge, DAMN whats that smell!, then you know what I'm talking about. Much less having to drink it. It's like having a boil and popping it open. EEEEEWWWWWWW!!! Smells like shit.

All these water quality permits and studies and studiors don't mean a damn thing to me. I'm to old for it to make a difference to me. What I'm worried about are my grandkids (when I have some) drinking and playing in this so called "safe water". You can't tell me this water is going to be safe by diluting it with the fresh water that is coming downstream. I'll give you an example. I'm sitting here imbibing now. If I mix my Crown and 7 weaker by diluting my Crown with more 7-Up, It may take longer but I'm still gonna get drunk.

Same with the water---may take longer----but the're still gonna get sick. Remember Lipitor, Zocor, Vioxx---it was safe too!!

No comments: