Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Racism or Stupidity

It looks like Oprah's playing the race card now.

While in Paris, doing a little after hours shopping, Oprah and some friends stopped by Hermes boutique to buy a watch, minutes after the boutique closed. They saw shoppers inside but neither the sales clerk nor manager would let them in.

No S*#T! What is it that you don't understand about being CLOSED? That means no, not, nada, on coming in to shop. We're CLOSED!!

Do you expect everybody in the world to kowtow to you just because you are a celebrity and made $225 million dollars last year? Hell, go buy your own store and make it a 24/7 one stop shop.

Hermes said that a "private public relations event was being prepared inside". Maybe, maybe not, but they don't have to have an excuse. They were CLOSED.

"If it can happen to Oprah, it could happen to anyone".

I can vouch for that. I can't count the times I've been to the grocery, drug store, gas station, post office etc., minutes after they closed, and have not been let in. Yea it pissed me off, but it was my stupidity not getting there before they closed---not the sales clerk or managers fault for not letting me in after they had closed. Of course I didn't make $225 million last year and I didn't expect them to.

I've also been in stores picking up a few things when they closed, locked the doors, and had to get someone to open the door to let me out. So much for seeing shoppers inside the boutique. They were probably finishing their shopping because they got there minutes before they closed.

What Oprah needs to do is get it through her head that bad things happen and sometimes they're not racially motivated.

You want to shop? Fine.

Shop when the store is OPEN!!

Blame yourself, not everybody else.

5 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erin said...

exactly my thoughts on this one, and I hate to say it because I'm an Oprah fan. I think Oprah in all her richness has forgotten how the real world works. I was legitimately saddened by the fact that Hermes actually issued an apology. They had no reason to apologize, they're just
trying to do damage control so that Oprah's off-the-mark version of the story doesn't kill their business.

(sorry about the above oops)

Inkslinger336 said...

You're right Erin. Oprah has forgotten how the real world works. I guess she's been catered to so long she doesn't live in the real world anymore.

You would think that with her influence and status, she could find a way to use this as something positive. Hey, if you want to shop at Hermes, get there before they close.

Instead she resorts to pulling the "race card", further re-inforcing the belief that everything "bad" that happens to an African American citizen, is because of their skin color.

It's sad and it's getting old.

She got there to shop late, they were closed, and it's nobodys fault but her's.

Bad things happen to everyone regardless of your skin color.

(No problem with the oops.)

Billy Jones said...

As one who is currently working for a retailer (something I once thought I would never have to do) I too have seen how irate people can become simply because they think we should open the store especially for them. We often have to hide in the back of the store while we prepare for the next day, ducking down when customers drive into the parking lot.

Inkslinger336 said...

Know what you mean Billy. My son is working at a gas/convenience store near the house.

At closing time the other night, while the manager was emptying the cash register some guy came up to the door wanting a pack of cigarettes. When they wouldn't let him in, he got so irate that he busted a bunch of bottles in the parking lot as he was leaving.

Can't they just go to a store that is OPEN!

Some people.